6.18.2008

Playoff Recap

I ended up going 13-2 for the post season, which is very respectable, but of course I was shooting for 15-0. Both of my misses came on Boston, and I still think if Chauncey Billups is 100% healthy Detroit wins that series (and the title). As for the Finals I was dead wrong. No use sugar coating it.

First I have to be honest with my readers and write that I rarely watched the Celtics during the regular season. The reason being that even with all their intensity and hard play they were still a very dull squad to watch. Grinding defense isn’t really my cup of tea. So even though I knew Boston was statistically one of the best defensive units ever, I suppose I really didn’t understand the magnitude of their greatness on that end due to my lack of viewership.

Ok, that said I still really can’t explain how the C’s manhandled the Lakers like they did other than to type that this is a true case of “great defense beating great offense.” Yes they were better on the boards and tougher overall, but so was Utah and Los Angeles took care of them in six.

So beyond giving credit where it’s due (which I just did to the best of my ability) I think people need to settle down on the dynasty talk. Boston had one of those magical seasons from start to finish and they undoubtedly deserved their rings, but special years are very rarely followed by another. The C’s were relatively injury free and didn’t have to face the opposition’s best shot every night (like all defending champs do) this season. Let’s just say I don’t see them having the best record next year, and without home court that crew is in trouble.

Beyond any player moves he made or will make the biggest stroke of luck GM Danny Ainge had was when assistant coach Tom Thibodeau resigned from the Washington Wizards after only two days (reportedly because coach Eddie Jordan & President Ernie Grunfeld were not on the same page). I mean the key to Boston’s title run was their defense, and Thibodeau is universally acknowledged as the architect behind it. Take my word on this, there isn’t another assistant coach in the NBA that prowls the sidelines, calls out plays and barks at players and officials like TT does.

Now the rub here is that Thibodeau only signed a one year deal (per his own request). Why does this matter? Well he’s the hottest assistant coach in the league right now (for obvious reasons) and the word on the street is that several franchises covet him as their lead assistant. Now before you say he’d be crazy to leave there, remember that money talks in the NBA. So if the C’s don’t pony up to keep him you’re looking at Doc Rivers running everything again. In other words forget about repeating.

As hard as this might be for some to believe, I’m actually very pleased with my Lakers’ season. They had the best record in the West, beat the defending champs to reach the Finals and lost to a more experienced team that had nine more wins in the regular season than they did. All in all not bad for a club that many didn’t even think would make the playoffs.

That said it’s not all peaches and cream. I know many are pointing the finger at Lamar Odom, but c’mon think about it for a second. He was going up against the Defensive Player of the Year (Kevin Garnett) who possesses his same body type and plays with quadruple the passion (if not more). To me the goat is Pau Gasol, and it’s really not even close. (Although I do think the six days off before the finals killed LA’s offensive rhythm/flow.)

Nobody should have a question anymore as to why Memphis never won a post season game with “Mr. Whipple” leading them. Pau just plays like such a ninny; getting pushed all over the court, out worked everywhere and not taking it strong to the rack unless he’s all alone. Just a sickening display of basketball plain and simple.

So other than Gasol hitting the weights and/or miraculously growing some cojones, Laker GM Mitch Kupchak has only a few tasks this summer. First the SF situation needs to be fixed immediately. The bad news is that Luke Walton (5 years, $26 million) and Vladimir Radmanovic (3 years, $19 mil) are both practically untradable because of their contracts. Neither is really overpriced, but the amount of years they have left is going to scare most clubs off. It’s probably doubtful until next off season when they are both free agents, but Ron Artest or Shawn Marion would equal a dynasty in LA. A trade for Richard Jefferson wouldn't be bad either.

The next thing the Lakers require to put them over the top is new fourth and fifth big men. Look, I like Ronny Turiaf, but I’m not willing to pay him big this summer. As for Chris Mihm and D.J. Mbenga…I mean c’mon now! If the Finals showed anything it’s that LA needs some dependable toughness, defense and rebounding off the pine. (I’m not worried at all about how the Gasol/Odom/Andrew Bynum dynamic will play out.)

So that leaves me with Kobe Bryant. Here’s a news flash for the mainstream media…he’s not as good as Michael Jordan. Never was and never will be. So stop being lazy and come up with a better “story” for cripes sake. (I'll argue with anyone who says he isn’t the second best SG ever though.)

The difference between the two is purely mental. As it always seems to be with Kobe he’s just a little slow to “get it.” Yes he was selfish for many years when he shouldn’t have been, but in the Finals it seemed to me that he swung too far in the other direction. As in he wasn’t selfish enough when his teammates were struggling. In the regular season, and rest of the playoffs for that mater, he was able to pick his spots much better. But on the big stage he seemed to be a little confused about when to turn it on and when to lay back.

Let’s be realistic here though. He’ll only be 30 next season and the roster around him will likely be stacked once again. So for all the Bryant haters out there I regret to inform them that he, and his Lakers, are poised to be in the spotlight for at least the next three years if not more.

Sorry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in agreement on the recap of the finals.

I would like to see L.A. resign Ronnie, but that is only because he went to Gonzaga when I was there. He is a weird dude too. Me and a buddy saw him playing frisbie alone one time. He would throw the frisbie and then run after it to catch it before it landed. To each his own I guess. He is tough for a Frenchman though. I think John Stockton teaches all Gonzaga players how to play a little dirtier.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home