8.22.2010

Deer Creek 2

After a very late night that saw me drift off around 4:45 AM I slept until noon the next day but that still left me six hours to pre-game before we left. Our driver Jim showed up right at 6 PM, but we didn’t get our act together until almost 6:30. Thankfully Jim knew a back way to the VIP lot and we got there in no time. Without an extra ticket on hand Jim decided to take in the show from lot right behind the lawn fence.

As we walked down to our seats I was shocked by how close we were getting and when we ended up sixth row right in front of Fishman I was really psyched. Kenny once again called the opening “Chalkdust” (two shows in a row) and the run of “Guelah,” “Axilla I” and “IDK” had a very old school vibe to it. I was jumping for joy when I heard what I thought were the opening notes of “Pebbles and Marbles,” but alas the song turned out to be the first 3.0 version of “Walls of the Cave.” “WOTC” was never one of favorite tunes but this version was slowed down a little and historic so I enjoyed it. After another great “Ocelot” (maybe the MVP tune of tour) the real treat of the set came in “Curtis Lowe.” A debut to my ears and expertly played I couldn’t have been happier to be so close.

The second set started kind of slowly even though “Halley’s > Light > 46 Days > Maze” looks pretty sick on paper. The set really took off for us with our first “Meatstick” since 4/17/04. Teri knew the dance and tried to teach everyone around us before the smooth transition into “Mango” happened. The double “Contact” “Slave” encore was the next highlight for me in what was turned out to be a good but not great second set.

We walked the long way back to the car so Kenny and Larisa could see what Deer Creek’s shakedown street was really about. Once we got back to the hotel things got even more weird with a crew of straight up freaks (not the good kind) taking over the hotel’s many patios, pool and hot tub.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home