4.11.2007

Wednesday 4/11

> Much like Methuselah, the Philadelphia 76ers will not die. The Sixers managed to outscore the Celtics in Boston 55-36 in the second half to win by eight. Making it even more improbable was that Philly was playing without Andre Iguodala & Kyle Korver. To quote Dick Enberg, “Oh my.” The Sixers must win out to have a chance, but you gotta believe!

> In yet another display of Deee-troit bas-ket-ball, the Pistons clinched the East by hanging around and making just enough plays at the end of the game to win. It’s a terrible habit, but the boys from Motown are very good at it. As for Orlando, they still hold #8, but the Magic suddenly face a HUGE game in Philadelphia on 4/14. I know I’ll be watching…will you?

> The Pacers held off a late charge in the 4th quarter to beat a hapless Bucks squad in Milwaukee. Indiana is only one game behind Orlando for #8 with the Pacers holding the tiebreaker. It’s gettin’ hot in here!

> The Miami Heat clinched the Southeast Division in another uninspired performance against an inferior opponent. I know they did it last year, but I have a hard time believing this club really has another gear to shift into for the post season. We shall see.

> The Denver Nuggets clinched a playoff berth by beating a reeling Jazz club in Utah. Matt Harpring had a great game (31 points on 13-19 FG) but made two bad plays in row with under 1:07 to go and Jazz down three. First he double clutched on an open 18-footer. Then he threw a pass to the scorer’s table on the very next possession. Comeback and game over.

The Nugs have won seven straight and still have not lost in April. I can’t take anything away from what Denver has accomplished recently, but let’s just say I’m still very skeptical about their chances in the playoffs.

Utah is another story entirely. They have gone a dreadful 5-11 since 3/13. I can’t really pinpoint what is wrong, but I’d say they lost their sense of urgency after they clinched the Northwest Division. They knew they couldn’t catch San Antonio and had a comfortable lead on Houston. Now that the Jazz are one game behind the Rockets for home court in the first round, maybe Utah will get their asses back in gear.

> The Trail Blazers outscored the Rockets 36 to 21 in the 4th quarter in Portland, but Houston was never really in jeopardy of losing. This game was a blowout so I started typing, only to see that the Blazers had made of game of it. As soon as I tuned in the first thing I saw was Brandon Roy fall on Tracy McGrady’s left leg (i.e. knee). I’m not a big T-Mac fan or anything, but I don’t want to see him seriously injured with only three games left before the playoffs either. Said McGrady, “It's a little sore, nothing's torn. I'm sure I'll feel better, it's nothing to worry about.” Let’s hope.

> Only two game tonight and both are on TNT…

- New Jersey at Cleveland
- Clippers at Lakers (This game is enormous for both clubs. If you East Coasters can stay up late enough, it’ll surely be worth your while.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home