4.03.2007

Tournament Recap

It has been a great many years since I watched as much college basketball as I did over the last four weeks. I’m not really sure what got into me, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was two fellows by the name of Greg Oden and Kevin Durant.

It all started on Championship weekend when I decided to tune in for the first time and see what all the fuss was about. I’ll admit, I mostly only watched the Oregon Ducks play through the first three rounds. However, I was back watching every game from the Elite 8 on.

Maybe it was because I had 6 of the 8, 3 of the 4, the final game and the tourney winner correct? (BTW, I finished 126,207 in ESPN’s ‘Tournament Challenge’) But really, I can’t be the only one that thinks the juice is back in the tournament because of the 19-year-old age limit instituted by the NBA. Can I?

Anyway, it has also been a very long while since I’ve had any opinions at all on the college players coming to the association. So since I actually watched for a change, here’s what I think…

Florida

Joakim Noah - a nice energy guy, but nothing more. Needs to bulk up and develop something on the offensive end. He has "bust" written all over him.

Al Horford - for some reason I'm not overly impressed with him. Guess I'm missing something? He just doesn't seem all that athletic to me.

Corey Brewer - definite NBA athlete who should be a top notch defender within a few years. Needs to work on his jumper though.

Ohio State

Greg Oden - he is special, of that I have no doubt. Needs to hit the weight room and improve his conditioning, but the package is all there. Offense, defense, competitive fire, etc. I think at worst he’s Alonzo Mourning prior to the kidney problem. Oden’s “upside” is practically limitless.

Mike Conley Jr. - not ready for prime time yet. One more year would do wonders for him.

Georgetown

Roy Hibbert - has potential, but with the NBA moving away from big slow centers, he may only be a backup.

Jeff Green - could be a great all-around player in the pros. He's going to need the right coach to fully reach his full potential though.

UCLA

Arron Afflalo - how's he going to fare when everyone defending him is as athletic as Corey Brewer? Exactly.

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute – this guy is not an NBA player in my book.

I guess I didn’t pay close enough attention to Kansas, North Carolina and Memphis, because no one stuck out to me. Sorry.

Oregon

Aaron Brooks – should have a long career in Europe.

Malik Hariston – needs to come back for his senior year and fine tune his game. I see him as kind of a do-it-all bench player type in the league. He’s good, but not great in a lot of areas (shooting, driving, passing, rebounding, defending).

Others

Kevin Durant - would have averaged 15 points a game in the NBA *this* season. Needs to bulk up badly though.

Acie Law IV – only saw him miss that last second lay-up against Memphis. All I can say is, an NBA player finishes that play in that situation.

Josh McRoberts - only saw one game, but this kid is a bench player in the NBA.

Aaron Gray – again, only saw one game, but this guy absolutely screams stiff.

Nick Fazekas – no clue what all the hubbub is about with him? Couldn’t get his own shot off under pressure, and almost seemed to not want the ball during crunch time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home