3.08.2007

Sound Tribe NW Run

2/22/07 - Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom (20th show)
I: Once Told, Kamuy, Squares and Cubes, Hi-Key, Tokyo, Mobsters > Surreality > EB
II: One a Day, Rent, We'll Meet in Our Dreams, The Unquestionable Supremacy of Nature, F. Word, You Don't Say
E: Jebez, Moon Socket > So It Goes*
*1st time played

It had been 117 days since I last saw my boys, and let me tell you, they did not disappoint one bit. I was oh-so-ready for my 20th show at one of my all time favorite venues in the entire country. After the two hour drive up, some pre-gaming at Ringlers and a quick walk of Althea, I was inside.

Once inside I noticed the Ballroom was crowded, but not packed to the gills (that would come later). I caught the end of Kaptain Harris and DJ Rootz, which was just OK. A half an hour later I was standing on the rail in the bar section and it was time to get busy.

The energy inside the venue was sick right from the start. I’d say it was a combination of the sell out and the anticipation of the band’s first show at the Crystal since 3/26/03. I expected a PHat opener, but got ‘Once Told’ instead. OT is one of those songs that some people love, and others don’t (you know where I stand now).

Anyway, the show took off from there. The stand alone 'Kamuy' was slowed down a touch and very nice. 'Squares and Cubes' came out of nowhere and was great. But the best thing I saw over the course of this run was the old school 'Mobsters > Surreality > EB' suite. Just fantastic.

The second set was equal to the task as well with the one-two punch openers of 'One a Day, Rent'. ‘WMIOD' was a nice change of pace oldie, but the ‘Unquestionable Supremacy’ that came next took the crowd and the energy to a whole ‘nother level. The breakdown section in the middle had the entire place bouncing in that special Crystal Ballroom way, if you know what I mean.

When the band left the stage you could see it on their faces that they were legitimately appreciative of the crowd’s support for the evening. That could be why the encore was so off the charts good. Bassist David Murphy (Murph) came out and asked if we wanted one or two songs. “Of course two” seemed to be the general response, and the rarity that is ‘Jebez’ followed. NICE!

I’ll admit, I wasn’t expecting much after that, but what I got was more than I could have ever hoped for. ‘Moon Socket’ did what it does, but it was the debut of ‘So It Goes’ that came after MS that sealed the deal. Excuse the Phish reference, but think the piano solo at the end of ‘Squirming Coil’. That’s how SIG (post a complete MS) started, but with the entire band taking that same melodic approach. It was the perfect way to come down from an incredible night of music.

2/23/07 - Seattle, WA - The Showbox (21st show)
I: This, Us, T.W.E.L.V.E., Abcees, 986 Foot Tall Trees, Arigato, GLOgli, Tooth
II: Lo Swaga, Bigs*, Be Nice, Instantly, Aimlessly, Open E
E: The Unquestionable Supremacy of Nature, Hubble
*1st time played

After crashing in my Jeep at the Jubitz truck stop and having a grease filled breakfast with my former brethren, it was off to a cozy dump of a hotel in SeaTac. I proceeded to check in, walk Althea and then nap until about an hour before my set departure time.

Being the creature of habit that I am, I had to pre-game at the Pike Place Bar & Grill. Since it was Friday night around 8ish the place was pretty crowded, but never fear, I found the last seat at the bar. After ordering the standard Grey Goose and tonic with a lime I took a look around the joint, and who do I see eating dinner? None other then Murph himself.

Not wanting to make a total ass of myself I waited until he was done eating to bother…err talk to him. I had plenty of time to work up something general to say so as not to come off as the “you guys are awesome, remember that show…” guy.

I shook his hand, thanked him for coming to the Pacific NW again and gave him extra props for playing the Crystal again. He was totally down to earth and very polite to me. He said they loved the NW, especially Seattle, and that all three nights were sold out.

After about 5 minutes or so of uncomfortable chatter, I asked him for his autograph. I know, GEEK! I made fun of myself while he was signing asking how many 33 year olds request for his signature. His response? “Not many.” I didn’t care. I’m very comfortable with my own dork-hood. Plus, I got it down right on the opposite side of a page in my setlist book where I had guitarist Hunter Brown (HB) sign backstage at Vegoose ’05. Now, how many people can say that!

Enough of the teenage giddiness, on to the show. I thought the first set was a little slow, with the exception of 'T.W.E.L.V.E.' and '986 Foot Tall Trees', which were both big time treats to my ears. However, the second set more then made up for it.

‘Lo Swaga’ is a great opener, and my wife’s favorite newer song (sorry Teri). The debut of ‘Bigs’ is really what set the crowd off and got the party started right. The crowd was going absolutely nuts for it mid-way through and flat out could not get enough. The ‘Instantly, Aimlessly’ back-to-back combo ranks as my number two highlight of the run.

I really wanted to hear ‘Unquestionable Supremacy’ again, but for some reason the second time around was not as good as the first. I think it had something to do with the crowd’s energy myself. ‘Hubble’ closed it out right though...as it always does.

On the whole, this was a very good show, but not on the level of PDX the previous night.

2/24/07 - Eugene, OR - McDonald Theatre (22nd show)
I: Tooth, Really Wut?, F. Word, By the Morning Sun, You Don't Say, Warrior, Peoples
II: Rent, Blu Mood, Abcees, One a Day, Somesing, Tap-In
E: What is Love?, Music, Us

After making it from my hotel to my house in four hours and thirty minutes it was time to eat…and then nap. I woke up in time for some home town pre-gaming at Jameson’s and Lucky’s. I was so overly amped up that I had my crew inside half an hour too early. Oh well.

Can you blame me though? I was coming off two quality shows and the McDonald was sold out for the first time that I could remember since RatDog 4/3/02. (Disclaimer: shows I was at) Anyway, the energy inside was percolating nicely, especially for Eugene.

Unfortunately, the show did not deliver in my book. Granted, every single person I was with or talked to thought it was phenomenal. That’s fine, I’ve been know to be wrong now and again.

But consider that I got six repeats. I expected to hear some new tunes again, but ‘Tooth’ and ‘Abcees’ were probably my least favorite of the four brand new ones that I heard. I was in utter shock that they did not drop ‘Bigs’ again after the reception it got in Seattle. Stunned I tell ya. I also am compelled to say that ‘Music, Us’ was not an appropriate way to close out a two week tour in my opinion.

With that out of the way, ‘Really Wut?’ and ‘Peoples’ anchored the first set nicely. The second set, and the show for that matter, was saved by a massive ‘Tap-In’. It was just fierce and the crowd was totally eating it up (especially Dave). Deee-Lite’s ‘What is Love?’ was a mighty fine encore, and coupled with ‘Tap-In’, gets my bronze medal for the three days.

Overall, the sets were relatively short. With each first set clocking in at right about an hour, and the second sets going about 1:15 or so. Although, the two song encores every night *do* make up for any perceived shortness.

I thought the boys did a superb job of mixing up the old and new songs (until Eugene). They have also moved back toward the center when it comes to jamming. It's not like back in '02 where every song was jammed out, but it's also not like '04-05 where every song was composed tightness.

There was a good mix of both, along with the completely different direction of the brand new tunes off The 1320 Mixtape with Murph and HB playing only lap-tops.

Additionally, I was surprised to see that STS9 is starting to develop a scene, which is a good thing I guess. I don't envy the kidz on tour trying to make a buck (it's much harder then on Phish, Widespread Panic, the Grateful Dead, etc.), but they were out there doing their best nonetheless.

Furthermore, it seemed that a number of people flew into Eugene for the tour closer, which is also rather impressive. What this means for me is Red Rocks here I come. I can’t to wait to see what the Rocky Mountians bring to the STS9 table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home