4.24.2007

Tuesday 4/24

New Jersey v Toronto (tied 1-1) – We have a full blown series on our hands here after a huge win by the Raptors . Chris Bosh has stepped up and shown that he is indeed ready for the big time. The Nets have no one that can contain Bosh, and it shows in his averages of 23.5 points, 9 rebounds and 47.2% shooting. Mikki Moore & Jason Collins are too slow and everyone else is too small. It may be time for NJ coach Lawrence Frank to turn to “Uncle Cliffy" Robinson or rookie Josh Boone because nothing else is working.

Vince Carter has been bricking away thus far at 30.2% from the field and 20% from three. But the crowd doesn't bother him…..right. He’s got to be the softest “star” in the NBA right now.

Anyway, I see this one going the full seven now for a few reasons. First, the Nets have been inconsistent at home all season and neither Games 3 nor 4 is sold out yet. Next, Toronto gained a big boost of confidence by getting their first playoff win together. What this means is the Raps can now play looser because the pressure is squarely on NJ to hold serve. Add it all up and I see another split on the horizon.

I just have to mention what a professional Morris Peterson is. He lost his spot in the rotation early in season to a left elbow injury, but never complained publicly. After that he was used only sporadically, which is something NBA players despise. Yet not a peep. Then, after logging only 7 minutes in Game 1, he plays a huge 31 in Game 2 and goes 2-3 from deep while playing solid defense. This guy will be rewarded by some franchise for making lemonade out of lemons in his contract year.

Miami v Chicago (Bulls up 2-0) – The Heat remind me of an aging athlete. You can tell the mind is still willing, but the body is just not able anymore. Chicago is quicker to the ball on almost every play, but what’s really shocking is that the Bulls are performing with so much more confidence than Miami is. What’s more, I’m so sick and tired of the Heat and their “We’ve been here before, we’ll be OK” attitude. How many times do I have to hear that same poppycock? Just shut up and play hard for once!

Luol Deng has been the breakout performer of the post season thus far. Lu has shown me everything I wanted to see and then some. His combination of size, skill, athleticism, length and basketball IQ is something to behold at 22 years old. Deng is shooting a robust 56.8% from the field on his way to averaging 29.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4 assists. Oh yeah, and he’s also a good defender. Miami is going to need to find an answer for him starting in Game 3.

I know the old adage is that a series doesn’t start until someone loses on their home court, but c’mon already. I have a very hard time seeing the Heat beating this Chicago squad twice in a row. I suppose it could happen, but at this point I’d put better odds on a sweep than a 2-2 tie.

(Did anyone notice the job Swiss rookie Thabo Sefolosha did guarding Dwyane Wade in Game 1? If only someone could have tipped you off about him…)

Lakers v Phoenix (Suns up 2-0) – Must I really analyze this mess? If you don’t already know, Los Angeles is my favorite team and I freely admit that they have ZERO chance in this series. Also you can take that Game 3 victory I predicted, roll it up, and smoke it. In other words, break out the brooms. This is such an embarrassment that I’m actually mad at the Clippers for choking down the stretch. Oh how I wish my Lakers were in the lottery, even if it only gave them a .05% chance at the #1 pick. Hey, that’s better than 0.0 Mr. Blutarsky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home