4.15.2011

First Round

I dropped my laptop about 2-3 feet to the floor on Sunday and the hard drive died making it impossible for me to write from home. So being that I can’t do myself justice here from work I’m just going to do a short blurb on each series with my pick. Since the guys at Geeks & Nerds should have my laptop back by Tuesday or so the annual Tap Dancing and Year End Awards will be a little late too but things should be back to normal by the second round.

EAST

Indiana at Chicago – There’s not much to say here as the Bulls finished with the best record in the league while the Pacers were eight games under .500. Maybe Indy can steal Game 3 but since Tom Thibodeau and Derrick Rose haven’t taken their feet off the gas yet I don’t see them starting now. Chicago in 4.

Philadelphia at Miami – The Sixers do play hard but the open court style they excel at plays right into the Heat’s hands. If Lou Williams (right hamstring) being iffy isn’t bad enough take a gander at Dwyane Wade’s numbers against Philly this season: 30.7 points, 8 rebounds, 6.7 assists, 2.7 steals and 2.3 blocks. Miami in 4.

Atlanta at Orlando – The Hawks won the season series 3-1 but finished the year losing six straight and looked extremely bad in doing so. This sounds crazy to say but for Atlanta to have a chance they need Jason Collins’ (left ankle) defense to frustrate Dwight Howard. Otherwise I don’t see much being different from last year’s playoff sweep. Magic in 5.

New York at Boston – I know people are all excited about this match up but I frankly don’t see it. The Knicks were 26th in defensive field goal percentage and the Celtics 3rd. I understand that Boston has been in a 15-12 funk since trading away Kendrick Perkins but I’m not willing to write them off just yet. Celtics in 5.

WEST

Portland at Dallas – Many people are predicting an upset here, and while the Blazers certainly have a shot, this team has yet to get over the hump in the first round. I know it has to start sometime but these Mavs are just too experienced and play better defense taboot. Dallas in 7.

Memphis at San Antonio – The Griz tanked down the stretch seemingly wanting to face the Spurs, and if Manu Ginobili (right elbow) can’t go or is limited Memphis coach Lionel Hollins will look like a genius. I do give Memphis a punchers chance at the upset here but it’s hard to see SA losing in the first round. Spurs in 6.

New Orleans at Los Angeles – Apparently Andrew Bynum (right knee) is good to go for Game 1 but I wouldn’t mind him sitting out until Game 2 on Wednesday just to be safe. Regardless the Hornets don’t have the size or athleticism to scare the Lakers. LA in 4.

Denver at Oklahoma City – I think this will be the most entertaining series of round one. It really could go either way as both of these sides have been much improved post-trade. I think it will come down to two things; Ty Lawson’s (left ankle) health and Kevin Durant’s greatness. If Lawson isn’t his normal speedy self the Nugs are in big trouble. In a series this close the difference is usually the best player on the court and that means KD has to be clutch in key moments. Thunder in 7.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home