12.03.2006

More Billy Hunter and Fantasy Ball

- On 12/1 the NBA players' association filed two unfair labor practice charges with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) against the NBA over issues with the new ball and the league's crackdown on player complaints.

Even though ESPN’s Chris Sheridan reported that Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Michael Redd and Mo Williams complained that the new microfiber ball was actually cutting up their hands, causing tiny abrasions (think teeny-weeny paper cuts); I doubt this latest foray into the legal realm has anything to do with either of the above stated issues.

Instead, this has everything to do with union director Billy Hunter trying to flex his muscle and show that the NBA is not a dictatorship. Hunter is even using some of Commissioner David Stern’s tactics by taking his case to the NLRB. You see, there is no language in the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) dealing with the question of the type of ball used in games. That's why Billy decided to use a government agency rather then bringing these issues before an arbitrator, as specified in the CBA

If you remember, this is exactly the same way Stern implemented the dress code and the ball change in the first place. The CBA said nothing on either, so Dictator Dave was able to unilaterally impose these changes without checking with the union first.

Hunter to Stern - “Right back at ‘cha buddy!”

The players’ association might have a legitimate gripe about the ball. Whether you approve of the new ball or not, if you have been watching games, you know it behaves differently then the old leather model. I’m not sure that this is as catastrophic as the players would have you think, but there is a noticeable change none the less.

As far as the new on court code of conduct goes (zero or no tolerance…whatever…it’s all semantics), I love it for three reasons.

#1) It speeds the game up.

I never realized how much time the players actually wasted with their complaints and gyrations. Now the refs can get the ball to the free throw line or inbound position in half the time (if not faster).

#2) It helps with those people that think the NBA is full of nothing but spoiled thugs.

(Obviously, I’m not one of those people. I think ALL sports are full of spoiled thugs, and the NBA is no different.)

You have to admit it’s more aesthetically pleasing to not have to watch Rasheed Wallace, Gary Payton, Sam Cassell and the like moan and groan about every single solitary call that goes against them.

#3) That’s the way the game should be called.

Much like with hand checking from two years ago, the cut down on moving screens from last year and the increased vigilance on palming & traveling this season, it make the game better. And that’s really the bottom line for any new “emphasis” on an existing rule.

My main problem with all of this is that Billy Hunter is taking a totally misguided stand here. Not only will this law suit eventually end up accomplishing nothing, but in the meantime it’s going to bring nothing but bad press on the league.

I suppose that’s really Hunter’s aim, but if you take a closer look, it seems to me that after the initial hubbub dies down, the beneficiaries of the majority of the poor ink will be his constituents.

How does he plan on spinning the fallout when writers and talking heads start asking how/why the players are bitching about not being able to act like petulant fools after the whistle blows?

Misguided and shortsighted all rolled up into one.

I’m sure the Commish is ready to strangle Hunter over this right now, but I have a feeling the majority of the players will be inclined to do the same by the time this case reaches court.

The NBA is on the verge of a renaissance right now (seriously), and I absolutely HATE Hunter for pulling this stunt. Nothing like dragging the league through the mud to prove your point. To me, this is eerily reminiscent of something the MLB players’ union would do out of spite, and that is plain old sad.

The only bright side, as I see it, is that this officially signals the beginning of the end of Billy Hunter’s tenure. I’m hoping that once this blows up in his face, and after doing nothing but harm to the league’s image, the players will wise up and vote in some new leadership.

One can only dream.

- I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve always been one of those guys who refers to fantasy geeks…as well…fantasy geeks.

I played a season or two of fantasy football as a teenager (when it just had started up) and it did nothing for me.

I also entered two different public leagues back in the 1999-2000 NBA season. I ran away with the Sandbox league, and finished second in the Yahoo league (made a fatal trade of then rookie Steve Francis to the guy who ended up winning).

(This was prior to the days of me having League Pass by the way.)

So I’m not sure what possessed me to create a Yahoo league prior to this season, but I did, and I’ve pretty much regretted it ever since.

Before everyone goes getting all crazy on me and calling sour grapes, understand that I’ve been comfortably in first place for all but two or three days of the season thus far.

And yes, I’m still not enjoying myself.

Could it be that my league has only five teams total in it (shallow, as I’ve learned)? Maybe. Could it be that no one will trade with me because I’m in first place? Maybe. Could it be that I drafted so well that there’s really no *big* moves for me to make? Maybe.

Realistically though, I know exactly why I’m less then enthused about the whole deal. It makes me watch games for the wrong reasons, and that really bothers me.

Look, I understand the allure of fantasy sports for the casual fan. Joe Schmo from Toledo isn’t going to follow the Golden State Warriors and Portland Trail Blazers unless Baron Davis and Zach Randolph are on his team. I get that, and am grateful for any and all new fans that fantasy brings to my beloved league.

Thing is, I’m not one of those people. I watch all the games anyway. Believe me when I tell you that I’m tuning into a Charlotte-Memphis tilt before I even consider viewing any other sport.

As you may already know, I take my job as an analyst/writer far too seriously. So I don’t need to be thinking about how many assists or blocks so-and-so has. I have to be paying attention to who can make plays for their teammates and who can defend the rim.

Which teams can do what in certain situations and which can’t.

Which young players are for real and which aren’t.

You get the picture.

I was even going to do a little write up on the best and worst moves in my league so far, until I realized how many feathers that would end up ruffling.

All of those reasons and then some are why this season is most certainly my farewell to the fantasy world. I’m leaving it in the capable hands of the forefather geeks who started the fantasy revolution and have run the show ever since.

Namaste brothers. Namaste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home