6.12.2021

Costa Rica 6/9/21

The letdown everyone was worried about for the USMNT never materialized mainly because Costa Rica's reserves seemed to want to be anywhere but in Utah.  That is probably selling our boys a bit short because they came out and straight took it to Los Ticos from the opening kick.  I take this game as a really good sign because in each 3-game window for World Cup Qualifying (WCQ) there will be a match where it's our reserves versus another CONCACAF side's reserves (obviously not against Mexico).  At this moment I would take our B-Team over anyone else in the Octagon's B-Team, including Mexico.  Not sure what else to say about these past four games, other than we put the rest of CONCACAF on notice that our time is here and we are ready.

Ethan Horvath - Was barely challenged but he certainly put himself in the "shop window" as they say.  It will be very interesting to see what happens if Zack Steffen (knee bone bruise) stays at City and Horvath gets a starting spot somewhere else in Europe and plays well.

Antonee Robinson - He played what I think is his normal game.  I'll give him the hockey assist on the first goal but he also had a few loose touches as usual.  I view Jedi the same way I do Josh Sargent in that they are the best players we currently have at their respective positions.  Until another "natural" left back arises the job is his.

Tim Ream - He showed well enough against a B-Team in CONCACAF, so I suppose that is his value.  One has to think this spot is Chris Richards' going forward.  I still don't understand how Erik Palmer-Brown and Cameron Carter-Vickers can't even get a look over Ream?

Mark McKenzie - Got the assist on the second goal with a beautiful line-breaking pass to Daryl Dike.  Also took a smart yellow just outside the box right before halftime when he was beaten.  Good on Gregg Berhalter (GGG) for running him out there again to show the kid he still has confidence in him.

Reggie Cannon - He pushed forward much more than he normally does and was rewarded with his first USMNT goal.  The goal itself was very nice as he cut back to his left for the finish.  Although I still prefer DeAndre Yedlin, Cannon is obviously still in the mix.  It will be interesting to see which club he lands at this summer.

Sebastian Lletget - He was pretty invisible again for my money.  I think his stock dropped quite a bit during these four games.  At least to me, but I'm sure he's still a GGG favorite.  It will be interesting to see if he's on the Gold Cup (GC) roster or not.

Tyler Adams - I was surprised he started and that he went 60.  He's just so good as our #6 and clearly makes our team that much better.  Arsenal is supposedly after him to play right back and Tyler grew up a big Gunners fan.  I hope he stays at Leipzig for another year and gets lots of Bundesliga reps as a #6, which Jesse Marsch will undoubtedly give him.  Then he can move to the EPL next summer after he rocks the World Cup.

Yunus Musah - So I took GGG's "fitness" comments to mean Musah wasn't 90 minutes fit, not that he was hurt in some way.  I can totally see that since he was barely playing at Valencia for months.  But damn, this kid is a player.  The way he drives the ball forward is special as is the way he switches from offense to pressing in a blink.  I thought he had a few nice passes that displayed vision I didn't know he had as well.  I can't wait to see the MMA midfield destroy CONCACAF in WCQ.

Brenden Aaronson - Man of the Match performance easily.  He had the first goal, several good passes and did this!  The kid just has that thing where he pops up in the right place at the right time.  He's still so skinny too, but his footballing IQ seems to allow him to avoid getting crushed by defenders.  He's definitely moving on from Salzburg soon, but I think he should stay for now and experience UCL Qualifying with them. 

Tim Weah - Hit the post from distance early and was generally a menace in the attacking half.  His last movement in the final third is still erratic, whether a pass or shot, but I have to say he's my favorite player to watch right now.  The crazy thing is that he is currently 4th on our winger depth chart.  Imagine how many previous versions of the USMNT where he would have been a lock starter.  He and Aaronson will see PLENTY of the pitch come WCQ.

Dike - Took his first USMNT goal very well.  Calm and collected waiting for the keeper to show his hand first.  There was also the ball from Aaronson that he let roll by him at around 19:50.  Watching it back again I think he didn't want to hit it with his left foot from there (which he would have had to do).  That's just one example of why Sargent is still ahead of him at this moment. I'm perfectly fine with Dike being second on the striker depth chart right now with a chance to join the starters if he improves other parts of his game.  I doubt he plays for Orlando again and I don't see him at the GC either because the European team that buys him will want him over there for preseason.  He has to choose his next move very wisely since he must play and can't be buried on a bench somewhere.

Walker Zimmerman - I thought he played pretty well for a guy who only got in the night before and didn't train with the team at all.  Let's see what he does in the GC.

Jackson Yueill - Another bad performance from him against a less than full strength opponent (I still remember Olympic Qualifying).  At this point I've seen enough of him and don't even want him on the GC roster at all.  Let's take a look at some of the other young midfielders like Eryk Williamson, Paxton Pomykal, Gianluca Busio or James Sands.

Gio Reyna - Came on and drew a penalty kick (PK) with his first action.  I was laughing my ass off when he and Jordan Pefok were fighting over the PK.  Reyna was probably like "Hey, if I make this I'll be the youngest PK scorer in USMNT history!"

Kellyn Acosta - He is the leader in the clubhouse for backup #6 behind Adams right now.  Like Lletget I'm not sure if he'll be at the GC or not.

Pefok - Is it wrong that I already feel like I've seen enough of him?  I'm fine with him being third on the striker depth chart right now but I prefer Dike over him mainly because Daryl is WAY more mobile.  I'm hopeful that some #9 emerges from the GC and looks like a viable option over Jordan.

Sergiño Dest - Got a late 12-minute cameo and didn't look like he wanted to be on the field.  Apparently Barcelona is willing to listen to offers for him but he wants to stay at Camp Nou.  Whatever happens to him this summer he needs to 1) get stronger and 2) rediscover his confidence and swag.

I don't expect any of the European guys like Julian Green, Luca de la Torre, Konrad, etc. to be released for the GC.  Besides the aforementioned midfielders there are some other players I'd like to see in the GC; Matt Turner, Sam Vines, Chris Mueller, Jeremy Ebobisse, Miles Robinson, Caden Clark, Leon Flach, Cade Cowell and Julian Araujo. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home